Assignment: Read articles marked with * and watch either the debate between Christopher Hitchins and the Reverend Al Sharpton or the lecture by Christopher Hitchins on the necessity of atheism. In 1-2 pages, to be submitted in class, note Hitchins’ main points. What are his rhetorical tools? How would you respond?
* “More Atheists shout it from the rooftops” by Laurie Goodstein, New York Times, April 26, 2009.
* “Humanists’ billboard to greet drivers on interstate” by Adam Parker, The Post and Courier, Sunday, January 25, 2009
* “South Carolina to Offer Cross on Car Plates” by Sean D. Hamill, New York Times, June 6, 2008
“Bible Belter” by Richard Dawkins, September 5, 2007, TLS, Timesonline.
Check out the American Humanist Association
* Christopher Hitchens and the Reverend Al Sharpton (60 min.):
* A lecture by Christopher Hitchens on the Moral Necessity of Atheism (60 min.):
Christopher Hitchens on God is Great (10 min.):
Christoopher Hitchens in CBCtv (10 min.):